Hang it up!
Hello Creative Friends,
I wanted to share with you one of the D.I.Y. projects I did for my bedroom this past week. I made these for the small wall space on each side of my bedroom window. These are art pieces inspired by some Ballard Design wall pieces that I have been admiring for quite some time. Their set of 3 Coretta Wood Fragments sell for $259.00. If I wanted this look, I had to stop dreaming and come up with something a lot more economical. I had been figuring in my head how to do it and then I saw where Nancy over at the Artsy Chicks Rule Blog had already done some using wood rosettes. You can see her project here. After seeing how nice hers turned out, I went ahead and worked on mine.
Here’s how mine turned out. I wanted more of a plaster look than just wood so I worked with some wood putty to get the effect I wanted.
Below are the original inspiration pieces from Ballards.
I’m not sure about you but my eyes scan every detail of the Ballard’s catalogs!
I put my “fragments” together using 11 x 14 canvases, decorative wood pieces, foam board, hot glue, lots of wood putty, and paint. My art pieces were pretty economical because I already had the canvases on hand (5 for 9.99 at Ross). I bought two wood medallions (2.49 each at Michaels) and two laser cut decorative wood pieces (2.49 each at Michaels). I already had the paint, foam core, and wood putty on hand as well.
I built up my wood pieces on the back with pieces of foam core to give my art some dimension. I used my Circle Scissors to cut out my circles. It wouldn’t cut quite all the way through the foam core but at least it gave me a guide to finish cutting the circles out. I put them on with hot glue. I ended up gluing three layers of circles on the medallions as I wanted them to stick out a little in the middle of the border pieces.
Here’s a little of the detail below. I dripped some of the wood putty into the grooves of the laser cut wood accidentally at first, but then I liked the look so I added a little more here and there. I used the wood putty around the edges and in the grooves. Then I textured the rest of the canvas with it. When it dried I painted it with some “Cream in my Coffee” Valspar sample paint I had on hand. I had to be careful with the texture so I just kind of dabbed the paint on with a sponge brush. I could have used spray paint but I don’t like the look of canvas art done with spray paint. To me, it just looks like a canvas sprayed with spray paint – nothing more. I wanted these to have some character. Next I sponged in a little bit of white craft paint intermittently all over the canvas. I was pleased with the look when I was finished.
This was quite a fun project. I guess because it went from nothing to something in very little time and I really like my “fragments” hanging in the bedroom. Even my husband said he was, and I quote, “impressed” with them.
Thanks for stopping in!
Have a creative day,