This is an older theme that has probably went its rounds where ladies meetings are concerned, but it’s a theme that I get questions on from time to time, so I’m sharing what I have on it for you. Thought now would be a good time since I just wrote a devotional, “All Cooked Up” that fits it perfectly.
Alternative Theme Titles:
- A Spud-tacular Evening
- The Eyes are Upon You
- Taters & Fixins
Theme Verse Suggestions:
- Galatians 5:22,23
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering,
gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against
such there is no law.”
- Gatatians 2:20
“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ
liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith
of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
- All Cooked Up by Julia
- The Tater Family (Sermon4Kids)
- The Ever Popular Tater Family (Sermon Central)
- Julia’s Devotional Index
Ideas from The Hen House (our old CLM message board):
(Post From BTS – Aug 15, 2008)
What Kind of Tater Are You?
A simple activity…Potatoes are the theme!
You can plan your program or devotional around all kinds of tater personalities:
- Agie Tater- always stirring up trouble
- Hezzie Tater- never gets around to doing anything
- Dick Tater- likes to give orders, but don’t want to soil there own hands
- Comment Tater- not willing to help but are quick to criticize
- Speck Tater- content to sit on the sidelines & not participate in any ministry
- Sweet Tater- always willing to help, brings sunshine to lives of others, displays fruit of the Spirit.
The invitations can have pictures of different kinds of potatoes on them such as potato chips, French fries, baked potatoes, hash browns, sweet potatoes, etc. Ladies can each bring copies of there favorite potato recipes to share.
An icebreaker idea is to play “Hot Potato.” Ideal refreshments are all things potato including.. potato chips and dip, potato skins, sweet potato cheesecake squares, and sweet potato bread.
Potato scrubbers and potato peelers work well as prizes. At the end of evening, give everyone a small container of Pringles and plenty of recipes to take home.
(Post From H – Apr 30, 2008)
I did a Potato night with our ladies once, and we had a contest with the different tables–they had to dress their potatoes (like a fashion show). THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!!!
I gave them a ziploc bag of fabric scraps, cotton balls, yarn, pins and scissors and they had to come up with clothes for these big baking potatoes. Then we had a mini potato fashion show.
We also did a Potato Chip tasting. We had about 6 different types of chips sitting out and they had to taste them and write down what they thought they were. If anyone ever does this, put the spicy chips at the end of the line as it affects the taste of the other chips.
There was a devotion about being a part of the body of Christ, and I used Mr. Potato Head to illustrate what happens when we aren’t fulfilling our God-designed role in the church body. You end up with four ears or three feet or whatever. Simple, but kind of funny, too.
Good memories!!! I might have to do this again with my current ladies.
Here’s a list of all the tater names from all the links and info above, plus I added in a couple I didn’t see.
- Agie Tater (agitator) – Stirs up trouble
- Ampu Tater (amputator) – Cuts themselves off from church and everything around them.
- Comment Tater (commentator) – Always has to voice their opinion.
- Couch Potato – Lazy.
- Deva Tater – (devastator) – Destroys things by how they speak and act.
- Dic Tater (dictator) – Controlling.
- Facili Tater – (facilitator) – Leads and moves things along.
- Hezzi/Hesi Tater (hesitater) – Never gets anything done or slow in doing it.
- Imma/Emma Tater (imitator) – Tries to be like everyone else.
- Ira Tater (Irritator) – Annoys.
- Ole Ro (rotator) – Faithful one day and not the next. On again off again.
- Par Tissie (participator) - Joins in and participates.
- Spec/Speck Tater (spectator) – Doesn’t join in. Just watches others doing the work or activity.
- Use your potato bar or potato food dishes as decoration.
Games and Icebreakers:
- Have two Mr. (or Mrs.) Potato toys. Have races to see who can put all the pieces in the head first.
- Potato Sack Races (for the more energetic group!) If you can’t find sacks, Party City has sets of them. They are 41in long so I think they’d be okay for adults as well as kids.
- Hot Potato (Use the Hot Potato game to have every person say their name or a describing word about themselves when they are “caught” with the potato. You can also have them do silly things when they are “caught with the hot potato” such as sing a line of a particular song, etc.)
- Potato Printables (Potatoes Goodness Unearthed)
- Mr. Potato Head Chocolate Mustaches - You need mustache candy molds for this project. (Tweedle Dee Designs)
- Mini or small package of potato chips
- Potato Peelers
- Fun Favor Bags (Potato Head Party Blog)
Just for Fun:
- Take photos of your ladies wearing mustaches like Mr. Potato Head or big lips like Mrs. Potato Head,
- Free Printable Mustaches and Lips (Living Locurto Blog)
- Free Printable Mustaches (You’re in Good Company Blog)
- Tater Night Ideas (Abingdon Youth)
- Share some potato recipes.
- Having a potato bar in an event honoring mothers and having small girls present? Have a Tater Tot Pageant. You don’t have to give out prizes or anything. Little girls just like dressing up and parading around and we love watching them:)
- Share a potato joke or pun.
- Q. What do you call a baby potato? A. A small fry.
- Q. Why did the potato cross the road? A. He saw a fork up ahead.
- “I think” said the sweet potato, “therefore I yam”
- Potato Peelers
- Vegetable Scrubbers
- Fast Food Card or coupons (to get French fries of course)
- Potato Basket – Fill with potato chips, Shoestring potatoes, Box of mashed potatos, 2 baking potatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, potato peeler, potato scrubber, a few potato recipes or a potato recipe book.
- Sweet Potato Pie (from a local bakery or homemade)
- Tater Family Skit - This is written for “chapters” but with a little creativity I think you could probably change it to fit “ladies groups” or “churches”. (The Strawberry Patch)
- Potato Bar with all the fixins. Find a list of toppings for a Potato Bar (Ellen’s Kitchen)
- Potato Serving Ideas (Festive Finds)
- Hosting a Potato Bar (Untrained Hosuewife)
- Potato Recipes (Potatoes Goodness Unearthed)
- Razorback Potatoes (How to Cook Like Your Grandmother)
- Potato Salad
- Hash Browns
- Sweet Potatoes
- French Fries
- Tater Tots
- Potato Soup
- Potato Chips
- Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Pie
Related CLM Pages:
My potato on my banner ad is from Trina Clark’s “Garden Goodies”. Purchased at Digi Scrap Kits.
Have a creative day,